The wait is finally over for the PS folks among you. Sony’s brand new PlayStation Plus experience is live down under. After exploring it, now I can give you a better one [p]away from the country. station. Whatever† Essentially, let’s take a moment to explore the prizes, perks, and games of yesteryear that you should aim for first.
Why would you need that last piece of advice? Well, some of the games on offer are considerably more “classic” than others. You are also a very busy person whose biggest problem is about to disappear, way too much choice.
Australian PlayStation Plus Essential Pricing
Essential is basically the existing PS+ service, just with an enthusiast name. You get online play, two free PS4 games and one free PS5 game (sadly chosen for PlayStation) to download per month. Oh, and discounts.
- PS+ Essential 1 month – $11.95 AUD
- PS+ Essential 3 months – $33.95 AUD
- PS+ Essential 12 months – $79.95 AUD
Australian PlayStation Plus Extra Pricing
The next level, Extra, will give you all of the above, PlayStation Plus Essential benefits, including 400 downloadable PS4 and PS5 games. There is hours and hours of entertainment in this catalog.
- PS+ Extra 1 month – $18.95 AUD
- PS+ Extra 3 Months – $54.95 AUD
- PS+ Extra 12 Months – $134.95 AUD
Australian PlayStation Plus Deluxe Pricing
Just as the Extra tier stacks up on the Essential, Deluxe adds to some of the classic PS1/PS2/PSP downloadables. Unfortunately, and for reasons I haven’t been able to figure out from local PR, our foreign brethren have been enjoying the PS3 games through a fourth “Premium” tier of this service…no. Nothing for us. Let’s just hope this changes.
- PS+ Deluxe 1 month – $21.95 AUD
- PS+ Deluxe 3 months – $63.95 AUD
- PS+ Deluxe 12 months – $154.95 AUD
PS One classics to prioritize
Ape Escape is the best 3D platformer on the PlayStation. No doubt. Not only is it innovative, it digs deep into the inherent movements of the analog controls and brings out a host of fantastic gameplay elements that are unique to the game.
- Oddworld: Abe’s Odyssey – “Solve puzzles, unleash bodily functions.”
- Wild Arms – “Full of dungeons and mazes with difficult puzzles to solve.”
- Tekken 2 – “Beat your friends, kick a serious shin like Lei Wulong.”
- Jumping Flash – “Take control of a large robot bunny named…Robbit.”
PS2 classics to prioritize
Jak and Daxter: Forerunner Legacy
A true 3D platform/adventure masterpiece, Jak and Daxter is one of the top games ever released in the genre, easily comparable to some of the all-time greats released by Nintendo and Rare.
- Rogue Galaxy – “A great sci-fi themed RPG from the creators of DQVIII.” 8.7/10
- Star Wars Bounty Hunter – “A surprisingly well executed shooter that no fan should pass up.” 8.3/10
- Dark Chronicle – “A great RPG that doesn’t disappoint.” 9/10
- Jak X: Combat Racing – “A beautifully presented, well-rounded combat racer.” 8/10
PS4 modern masterpieces to prioritize
The last of us Remastered
Whether you’ve already experienced it on PlayStation 3 or have no idea what you’re missing, The Last of Us: Remastered is worth your time and attention. In fact, PlayStation 3’s best game also became one of PlayStation 4’s.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 – “A meticulous open-world ode to the outlaw era.” 10/10
- Horizon Zero Dawn Complete – “A beautiful open world with exciting combat.” 9.3/10
- Marvel’s Spider-Man GOTY – “A Spider-Man story that both surprises and delights.” 8.7/10
- God of War – “By far the most exciting and memorable game in the series.” 10/10
Adam is our Aussie deals wrangler. You can see him playing on YouTube†