Before January 6, Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio got plans to occupy convention buildings, Supreme Court

Before January 6, Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio got plans to occupy convention buildings, Supreme Court

Before January 6, Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio got plans to occupy convention buildings, Supreme Court

In the week leading up to the January 6 attack on the Capitol, Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio received a nine-page memo entitled “1776 Returns” detailing plans to occupy Congressional office buildings to protest the vote counting of the Electoral College of the 2020 presidential election.

The memo, filed in court as part of a recent motion by one of Tarrio’s co-defendants, outlined a goal to “maintain control of a select few, but critical buildings in the DC area for a period of time, with our requirements in unity.”

“We need to show our politicians that We the People are in charge,” the memo reads. Targeted buildings reportedly include the three office buildings of the Senate and House, the United States Supreme Court, and CNN — according to the filing of “at least an egg passage.”

The demands outlined in the memo include “free and fair elections”, “freedom or death” and “No Trump, no America”.

In ‘Storm the Winter Palace’, a section intended for internal use and a ‘Patriot Plan’ for distribution outside, five teams of people were needed per building, ranging from a ‘hidden sleeper’ who would spend the day in the intended building Spending time. build into a recruiter that would gather a crowd. A group of 50 “patriots” would then occupy each building.

However, nowhere in the document is there any suggestion that force should be used against the police, members of Congress or their personnel or other Capitol personnel.

The document includes a page to assign roles to each of the target locations and maps of the identified buildings.

According to the memo, those responsible will have to recruit members, investigate road closures and make arrangements with various representatives in the buildings between January 1 and 5, 2021.

“Use Covid to your advantage,” the document advised. “Pack huge face masks and face shields, protect your identity.”

On January 6, 2021, “1776 Returns” instructed certain individuals known as “leads” to dress in suits and stay within the targeted buildings to find entrances and exits. Once a sufficient audience has been recruited, the memo suggests, those already inside should open the doors and let the group in.

“This may involve creating problems at the front doors to distract guards who may be holding off the doors,” it said, “The aim is to ensure there is an entry point for the masses to rush into the building. “

According to the document, participants in the city at various locations such as Walmart, hotels and museums would have to activate fire alarms to distract the police.

Once inside, the entire group would then present its list of demands and hold sit-ins in the offices of certain senators, the filing said.

The manual advised readers to use large trucks or a large caravan of cars to block intersections to make crossing the city more difficult. “Now is the time to contact truck drivers or motorcyclists for Trump about these roadblocks,” the note said.

According to the portion of the memo intended for external dissemination, the participants were to demand that new elections be held on January 20, 2021, overseen by the National Guard.

“Mitch McConnell, Kevin McCarthy, Mike Pence & Bill Gates,” it reads, “we humans are watching you.

“Rand Paul & Ron DeSantis… We, the people, love you.”

The existence of the 1776 Returns document was revealed when Tarrio was first charged with conspiracy earlier this year. Prosecutors alleged that Tarrio, who has now been charged with seditious conspiracy and pleaded not guilty, was allegedly sent the document by an unknown person. After sending Tarrio the document, the person reportedly stated, “The revolution is more important than anything,” to which investigators say Tarrio replied, “That’s what every waking moment consists of… I don’t play games. “

At the same time, Tarrio and other Proud Boys leaders ran a so-called “Ministry of Self Defense” organization, with Tarrio at the top of the power structure.

This group would form the core of leadership in a new chapter of the Proud Boys organization, which Tarrio described as a ‘national rally planning’ chapter. The first event the group focused on was the rally in DC on January 6. ,” prosecutors argue.

The court accompanying the copy of the “1776 Returns” memo was requesting the judge overseeing Proud Boys’ major conspiracy case to reconsider the pre-trial detention of Tarrio co-defendant Zachary Rehl. In the filing, Rehl’s legal team says the memo “is not a plan to attack the Capitol and does not even mention the Capitol. It refers to occupying Congressional office buildings.”

The recent indictment of Tarrio and other Proud Boy leaders shows that they used to refer to themselves on January 6, 1776. the Rayburn Building,” the charge of which was listed in the 1776 plan. At 7:44 PM, a person sent Tarrio a text message that read: “1776 motherf******.”

Tarrio’s lawyer did not respond to a request for comment.

According to Wednesday’s motion, the document was sent to Tarrio by a female acquaintance and was not shared with Rehl or other defendants.

†[A] The proposal to occupy office buildings is a tried-and-true protest activity,” Rehl’s legal team noted. “There is no evidence that the government has ever charged demonstrators who actually occupied buildings for the crimes charged in the present case.”

Read the document here: