Hillary Clinton has ruled out another run for the White House, saying it would be “disruptive” to compete with President Joe Biden.
The former secretary of state told the Financial times that the possibility of her re-running was “out of the question” after her 2016 loss to Donald Trump, as she said she expects Mr. Biden to run for a second term.
“No, out of the question,” she said when asked about a possible bid in 2024.
“First of all, I expect Biden to run. He certainly intends to run away. It would be very disruptive to challenge that.”
Ms. Clinton said she believes Mr Trump will also likely compete in the 2024 race, adding that she is unsure which GOP members will face him.
“I think if he can, he’ll start running again,” she said.
“Follow the money with Trump – he raised about $130 million in his bank account which he used to travel around, to fund the anti-election organization… I don’t know who will challenge him in the Republican primaries.”
She warned that the US is on the brink of “losing our democracy” and urged the Democratic party to come together to ensure they win the next election.
“We are about to lose our democracy, and everything that everyone cares about is disappearing out the window,” she said.
“Look, the most important thing is to win the next election. The alternative is so scary that anything that doesn’t help you win shouldn’t be a priority.”
Referring to calls to punish police, she expressed concern that the far-left could threaten the Democratic party’s chances of remaining in the White House.
“You need responsible measures. But you also need police. It doesn’t even pass common sense politics not to believe that,” she said.
“Some positions are so extreme on both the right and left that they retreat into their corners…Politics should be the art of addition, not subtraction.”
Mr Biden has repeatedly said he will run for reelection in 2024, despite rumors among his fellow Democrats about dismal polls, his age and whether he can run Mr Trump a second time.
White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre redoubled his plans to run this week.
“What I can say is that the president has repeatedly said he plans to stay in 2024, and I’ll have to leave it at that,” she told CNN.
“All I can say is that the president intends to do what the president intends to do.”
A report in The Washington Post on Friday said his team plans to announce its bid in the spring of 2023 and has been depositing funds in key battlefield states of 2024 in preparation in preparation.
Meanwhile, Mr. Trump has also repeatedly teased a 2024 bid, stirring up a crowd at a conservative conference on Friday to ask, “Would anyone want me to run for president?”
An election campaign for Mr Trump would come as his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol uprising is under investigation and he faces several other criminal investigations into his business practices.
The Jan. 6 hearings so far have provided damning testimony from Mr. Trump’s own inner circle about how he ran a pressure campaign to get Vice President Mike Pence to undo the presidential election, despite knowing he knew about the presidential election. Lord Biden had lost.