The third public hearing of the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol will focus on the press campaign against then Vice President Mike Pence by former President Donald Trump and his allies in the United States. leading up to the Capitol uprising.
“We’re going to focus on the press campaign on former Vice President Pence, driven by the former president, even as the advice circulated in the White House saying the plan was illegal, it was totally unfounded,” said a select committee employee who inquired. reporters on plans for the hearing late Wednesday.
“We’re going to show that that press campaign contributed directly to the attack on the Capitol and put the life of the Vice President at risk,” the aide continued, adding that the panel plans to “submit new material.” present that documents that day,” as well as evidence documenting Mr. Pence’s movements before and during the riots.
The aide said the panel expects Thursday’s hearing to mirror the format used during Monday’s session, in which previously recorded statements and live testimony will show that there was a “group of committed officials who upheld their oaths and were committed to rule of law” were working at the White House in the days before the Capitol attack, each of whom gave Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence “sound advice by saying, ‘No, you can’t go down this road. This is illegal, unconstitutional’”.
In addition, the select committee’s assistant said Thursday’s hearing will be used to provide evidence of an “ongoing threat” to democracy from those who still try to advance discredited views, such as those who have been accused by Pence. Trump and his allies are being forced on.
The hearing is expected to be broadcast on major TV networks, including CNN and MSNBC, as well as numerous news websites and YouTube channels, including the independentand on C-SPAN.
Committee assistants said the majority of the questioning and presentation of evidence at Thursday’s hearing will be the responsibility of California Representative Pete Aguilar, a former mayor of Redlands, California who has served in the House since 2015.
In addition to the pre-recorded statements the panel used as part of multimedia presentations during the hearings, the select committee will record live testimony from two witnesses: J Michael Luttig, a renowned conservative lawyer and retired federal appellate judge who advised then-Vice President Mike Pence that he had no authority to unilaterally reverse the election results, and Greg Jacob, who was Pence’s attorney in the White House at the time of the attack.
Although Mr. Pence’s former chief of staff, Marc Short, will not testify in person on Thursday, committee officials said viewers can “expect to hear” from Mr. Short in the form of excerpts from multiple videotaped statements he made over the past few years. last year.
The aide did not say whether Mr. Luttig or Mr. Jacob appeared under subpoena, but so far all witnesses who have testified in person have done so, as have most of those who have testified in affidavits.