A man who admitted to hitting 10 people in an attack on a van in Toronto in 2018 has been sentenced to life in prison.
Alek Minassian, 29, previously admitted to planning the April 23, 2018 attack on a van on a busy street in Toronto’s North York borough because he identified himself as an “incel,” a term used to describe young people. describe men who blame women for their limited sexual experience.
Minassian rented the van before killing 10 people, allegedly as punishment to society for being an “incel,” as he told police after his arrest.
Another person injured in the attack also later died from the injuries she sustained.
On Monday, Judge Anne Molloy said she considered the woman the 11th victim of Minassian, who was found guilty of 10 first-degree murders last year.
He was also charged with 16 counts of attempted murder, including all those injured in Yonge Street.
Minassian, who is serving multiple life sentences simultaneously, is eligible for parole in 25 years under Canadian law. However, he cannot be given parole.
“Each of these lives was precious,” Judge Molloy said while pronouncing the sentence.
As CTV News reported, the judge admitted that a recent Supreme Court decision had prevented Minassian from serving consecutive sentences.
She said statements from victims’ families and others were important to consider when a conditional decision is made in the future.
“What you said matters, it matters, it matters to me and it will matter to other people who have to make decisions in the future.”
Minassian is said to have been inspired by online groups where ‘incels’ talk, authorities said earlier.
He was found guilty in March 2021 of murdering 10 people and injuring 16 others involved in his rampage.
That came after Minassian pleaded no criminal responsibility under his autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which Justice Molloy accepted.
However, Minnasian was deemed to have understood his actions, with the judge saying “even an inability to empathize for any reason does not constitute a defence”.
The 11 killed in the attack were Anne Marie D’Amico, 30, Dorothy Sewell, 80, Renuka Amarasingha, 45, Munir Najjar, 85, Chul Min ‘Eddie’ Kang, 45, Mary Elizabeth ‘Betty’ Forsyth, 94, Sohe Chung, 22, Andrea Bradden, 33, Geraldine Brady, 83, Ji Hun Kim, 22. and Amaresh Tesfamariam, 65.
“We all wished he wouldn’t be eligible for parole for much, much longer, but…I’m glad we have him behind bars,” said Omar Najjar, the son of one of the victims of the attack. , told CTV News. †