Shooter Uvalde waited for grandfather to leave the house before shooting grandmother – who still can’t speak

Shooter Uvalde waited for grandfather to leave the house before shooting grandmother – who still can’t speak

Shooter Uvalde waited for grandfather to leave the house before shooting grandmother – who still can’t speak

Uvalde gunman Salvador Ramos waited for his grandfather to leave the house before shooting his grandmother in the face, lawmakers learned on Tuesday – when it was revealed the 66-year-old is still unable to speak for nearly a month after the attack.

Steve McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety (TDPS), testified Tuesday morning before the Texas Senate’s first public hearing into the ongoing investigation into the events surrounding the massacre of 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School.

On May 24, Ramos shot his grandmother Celia Gonzalez in the face in the house they shared, making her the first victim of his deadly disaster that left 21 dead and another 17 injured.

Mr McCraw told state lawmakers that the 18-year-old gunman had sent a 15-year-old girl on social media to tell her he was waiting for his grandfather to leave the house “before I do”.

The TDPS director testified, “And he waited for him to leave and did it.”

Gonzalez survived the attack but “still can’t talk” because of her injuries, he said.

The 66-year-old has agreed to be interviewed by investigators – as long as it is in her daughter’s presence – but the interview has yet to take place due to her inability to speak, he said.

The new details came on Tuesday when Mr. McCraw revealed the findings so far about the May 24 massacre to the Texas Senate Special Committee — the Senate Special Committee to Protect All Texans.

In a bomb statement, he revealed that officers could have ended the active shooting situation and began rescuing the injured and dying victims just three minutes after the gunman inside began opening fire.

Three officers, armed with rifles and pistols and in body armor, arrived outside the unlocked classroom at 11:36 a.m. – three minutes after Ramos entered the school and classroom at 11:33 a.m.

Under protocol established after the 1999 Columbine massacre, officers should not wait to enter an active shooting situation.

Mr McCraw said even one officer with a gun is enough to attempt to deal with an active shooting situation.

“You don’t wait for a SWAT team. If you have one officer, that’s enough,” he said.

Salvador Ramos killed 19 students and two teachers in the attack

(Screenshots / CNN)

“You stop killing and you stop dying. It is preached and practiced in the state of Texas. It just hasn’t been implemented.”

However, another hour, 14 minutes and eight seconds passed before the police finally entered the classroom and shot the gunman.

Mr. McCraw also testified that the door to the classroom appears to have been unlocked during the entire massacre, but none of the officers tried the door handle.

He testified that the police response to the mass shooting in Uvalde was an “abject failure”, with the police chief “putting the lives of officers before the lives of children”.

The hearing comes as questions mount over law enforcement’s response to the mass shooting, with a delay in entering the classroom and killing the gunman now believed to have cost lives.

A teacher died in an ambulance, while three children died after reaching hospitals.